dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

David Callahan

Has anyone experience building the package cryptography-1.9 using PyPy and setup.py?

In the build phase I encounter this diagnostic

…/python/pypy.5.8/…/lib-python/3/distutils/dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

but the stage seems to complete without error.  Is this expected or suspicious?

Thanks david

Re: dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

Alex Gaynor
Hi David,

We test cryptography against PyPy in our CI, and I install it semi-regularly, so I'd expect it to work :-)

Are you able to reproduce this reliably? If yes, can you include full instructions?

If not: what versions of pip and setuptools do you have?

Alex

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM, David Callahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Has anyone experience building the package cryptography-1.9 using PyPy and setup.py?

In the build phase I encounter this diagnostic

…/python/pypy.5.8/…/lib-python/3/distutils/dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

but the stage seems to complete without error.  Is this expected or suspicious?

Thanks david

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
GPG Key fingerprint: D1B3 ADC0 E023 8CA6

Re: dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

David Callahan

Thanks Alex,

We are using setuptools 34.2.0, we don’t use pip. In our environment, each package it built from source and installed into a separate directory and a long PYTHONPATH constructed. This works fine for CPython  but apparently has some snag with PyPy.

Re: dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

Maciej Fijalkowski
Hi David

Maybe pypy 3 does not come with correct distutils/setuptools gimmick
to convince everyone cffi is installed? The way you described should
generally work with PyPy. I'll have a look tomorrow at the sprint.

Cheers,
fijal

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM, David Callahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Alex,
>

> We are using setuptools 34.2.0, we don’t use pip. In our environment, each
> package it built from source and installed into a separate directory and a
> long PYTHONPATH constructed. This works fine for CPython  but apparently has
> some snag with PyPy.
>

> From: Alex Gaynor <[hidden email]>
> Date: Friday, October 6, 2017 at 5:32 AM
> To: David Callahan <[hidden email]>
> Cc: PyPy Dev <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
> option: 'cffi_modules'
>

> Hi David,
>

> We test cryptography against PyPy in our CI, and I install it
> semi-regularly, so I'd expect it to work :-)
>

> Are you able to reproduce this reliably? If yes, can you include full
> instructions?
>

> If not: what versions of pip and setuptools do you have?
>

> Alex
>

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM, David Callahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone experience building the package cryptography-1.9 using PyPy and
> setup.py?
>

> In the build phase I encounter this diagnostic
>

> …/python/pypy.5.8/…/lib-python/3/distutils/dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown
> distribution option: 'cffi_modules'
>

> but the stage seems to complete without error.  Is this expected or
> suspicious?
>

> Thanks david

> "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to
> say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
> "The people's good is the highest law." -- Cicero
>
> GPG Key fingerprint: D1B3 ADC0 E023 8CA6

Re: dist.py:261: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'cffi_modules'

Ronan Lamy

I couldn't find out how to reproduce your issue, cryptography 1.9 installs fine for me.
I'm guessing that there is something specific to your setup that is causing the issue.

Ronan