a question about translating pypy for raspberry pi

a question about translating pypy for raspberry pi

gelin yan
Hi All

   I followed the instructions from

and succeeded to build a pypy (it works in qemu environment)

when I copied to my raspberry pi 3 (OS: raspbian) and tried to run pypy

the program complained:

"error while loading shared libraries: libpypy-c.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Did I do something wrong here?

Regards

gelin yan

Re: a question about translating pypy for raspberry pi

Antonio Cuni
Maybe it's a stupid advice but: are you sure to have copied also libpypy-c.so to the raspberry?
Is it in the same directory as the "pypy" or "pypy-c" executable?

I suggest you to run the script "pypy/tool/release/package.py", which builds a tarball containing all the necessary stuff (including the stdlib). Then you can simply untar on the raspberry and run it.

You should run it this way:
python package.py --archive-name=my-pypy-for-rpi

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Gelin Yan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

   I followed the instructions from

and succeeded to build a pypy (it works in qemu environment)

when I copied to my raspberry pi 3 (OS: raspbian) and tried to run pypy

the program complained:

"error while loading shared libraries: libpypy-c.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Did I do something wrong here?

Regards

gelin yan

Re: a question about translating pypy for raspberry pi

Antonio Cuni
Hi Gelin,
Please make sure to include pypy-dev in the CC, so that the others can read the answer.

I suggest you to try two things:
1. Try to run pypy under strace: this way you can see where it tries to find .so libraries and which one it cannot find (it might be a dependency of libpypy-c itself)

2. Try a nightly build from here: http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/trunk/

Il 10 nov 2017 7:51 PM, "Gelin Yan" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Antonio Cuni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe it's a stupid advice but: are you sure to have copied also libpypy-c.so to the raspberry?
Is it in the same directory as the "pypy" or "pypy-c" executable?

I suggest you to run the script "pypy/tool/release/package.py", which builds a tarball containing all the necessary stuff (including the stdlib). Then you can simply untar on the raspberry and run it.

You should run it this way:
python package.py --archive-name=my-pypy-for-rpi

Hi Antonio

    Yes. I did run the package.py to make a pypy package for ARM. I did check libpypy-c.so which is placed on the same directory of where pypy is.

Regards

gelin yan

Re: a question about translating pypy for raspberry pi

gelin yan
Hi Antonio

   Sorry for coming late. The problem has been resolved. I used a wrong toolchain to build the pypy. I should use raspbian compiler toolchain and the arch ought to be armhf instead of armel.   I am not familiar with cross-platform compilation (It was my first time) so I took several days to figure out how to.

Regards

gelin yan