RPython proposed deprecation: translator.platform .distutils_platform

RPython proposed deprecation: translator.platform .distutils_platform

matti picus
In addition to the arm, bsd, cygwin, darwin, freebsd, linux, maemo (really?) netbsd, openbsd, posix, and windows rpython/translator/platforms, we have one called "distutils_platform" that is allegedly supposed to allow one to specify the target platform and use distutils factilities to compile an RPython program for that target. I would like to deprecate (remove) it. The trigger for my proposal is the need to import setuptools to enable disutils to find the MSVC compiler on a system that uses the "Visual for Python" compilers, which I came across when setting up a new win32 build slave. Rather than try and fix the problem I would prefer to remove the platform.

Any objections?
Matti

Re: RPython proposed deprecation: translator.platform .distutils_platform

Maciej Fijalkowski
+1